Gothic Room

In 1427 during the rule of the liege Lord Count Friedrich von Toggenburg, two projecting structures were added to the Schattenburg Castle. One of these structures – where we now are – contained the bailiff`s office.

This is the only room in the castle which still contains its High Gothic decoration including wood panelling with pointed arches and profiled cover strips.

Of the former twenty coats of arms of Feldkirch patricians and bailiffs which used to cover the walls only two have survived: those of the bailiff Heinrich Walther von Weissenberg and his wife Maria Elisabeth née Furtenbach, dated 1667.


In this room, we admire late medieval religious sculptures from churches and chapels from the area around Feldkirch. On the right-hand side of the entrance door stands an iron coffer, dated 1786 which was Feldkirch`s city treasury. It is decorated with the town`s coat of arms and the red-white-red shield of the Habsburgs. In that same year the Empress Maria Theresia (1717–1780) ordered the modernisation and re-organisation of the town`s finances.

On the floor, next to the tiled stove are five supporting feet, some with a lion`s head. The clock hanging between the two windows dates from the 1550 approx.